Book Drop-off- Updated May 2022
As of April-2020- It is now a drop-off system. Drop-Off Times are during store hours Sunday-Thursday.
- We ask that you limit the books brought in to 1-2 smaller bags or 1 large bag at a time.
- Once you enter the store there is a table with a book credit sign-in sheet in front of you.
- Please fill out the sheet fully indicating with a Yes or No if we can donate any unwanted books we cannot take or you will be picking up your returns.
- Please note-We do not have the space to hold onto your book returns. We ask you to be able to pick them up within 48 hours of being notified. If you cannot please let us know. We will try to accommodate your request.
- Put your name, phone number, and email on the tags provided, place one in each bag and then place your bag(s) under the table. There is a staff member at the table during certain times to help with the signing-in process. If there is no staff there and you need assistance please go to the counter on the other side. Sue, Amy, or Erin will be happy to help you as soon as they have a moment.
- We are usually able to get through your books within 24 hours and we will contact you by e-mail or phone and let you know how much credit or cash you brought in and will add it to your account.
- Don’t forget to indicate whether you will be picking up your returns or forwarding them to the thrift shop or to the little free lending libraries around Dartmouth.
We only take in books from Sundays to Thursdays. We do not take in books on Fridays or Saturdays. As well, we do not take in books during the month of December due to year-end inventory. Thank you
Bringing in Books for Credit:
- We are always looking for fairly new current books and books of interest. i.e. Bestsellers and Local Interest…
- Generally speaking, we give between $1.50-$2.00 in book credit for current Mass Market Paperbacks, and up to $4.00 in credit for Trade Paperbacks (larger softcovers) and Hardcovers. This is a guideline and we may give more or less depending on the book and condition. For children’s books, we give $0.50 cents to $2- depending on the format in credit
- We check for condition, format, and number of copies currently on hand. Generally, we look for newer current books that are in very good condition (i.e. free of rips, stains, cracked spines, water damage, mustiness, mildew, or any bad odors, writing, & highlighting).
- Please understand we do not take all books. For hardcover books, we only take what may sell or titles that are in demand. Generally speaking, once a fiction book is out in paperback the hardcover will no longer sell. There are always some authors that will sell in Hardcover.
- We do not take textbooks, magazines, encyclopedias, reference books or Library Discards.
Using Your Book Credits:
- We have a 50/50 Book Credit System. Meaning, when you are ready to purchase books you can apply up to fifty percent (50%) in book credits towards your purchase. For instance, if your purchase comes to $50.00 before tax you can apply up to $25.00 in book credits. If you purchase $10.00 before tax you can apply up to $5.00 in book credits and so on. All unused book credits will be kept on file in our system to be used at another visit.
- Starting January 1st 2022- Credit can be used on used book purchases of $5 and over.
- Book credits can only be used for instore purchases.
- Book credits never expire and will remain on file in our system until fully used.
- Note: Some Local & Collectible Books and any special sale items (like ‘Blind Dates’ or 10 for $10.00 discount books) may be exempt from Credit use. Book Credits cannot be used on new books.
- *Book Credits can only be used on Books. They cannot be used on baskets, bookmarks or tote bags. Blind Date books and 10 for $10.00 discounts are already set a specialty rate and are exempt from Credit use.
Bringing In Books To Sell For Cash:
- The store owner handles all Cash Purchases of books. Please always call ahead before bringing books in for cash.
- As a guideline we pay up to a dollar per book generally depending on the format.
- Bringing in books for cash is also a drop-off system- please make note that you’d like cash for your books on the clipboard sign in sheet. Please see above for drop-off procedure.
Attention Classroom & Home School Teachers:
Looking for books to fill out your classroom library??? We give teachers 10% off their classroom purchases of under $50,
- 15% off their classroom purchases of over $50 to $75,
- 20% off their classroom purchases of $75-$100 and
- 25% off their classroom purchases of over $100-
***All purchases are before taxes. ID must be presented. Cannot be combined with book credits or any other deals or sales. Excludes new books.
We do ship books.
- Postal code is required to get an accurate shipping estimate from Canada Post.
- Tracking number & receipt will be e-mailed to you once mailed.
We accept debit, credit (Visa, Mastercard, American Express), E-Transfers, and cash